Friday, March 10, 2017

Unexpected

Baikie Island is a previously industrial, now reclaimed balloon of land, protruding into the Campbell River estuary. Only a narrow stream separates it from the mainland to the north, which is still home to heavy machinery: a clutter of rust, oil and mud, groaning chains, crumbling barrels, greasy weeds. At the tip of the island, the contrast is jarring; birds and bush behind, the calm waters of the estuary ahead, and to my left, a short stone's throw away, a rusty mass.

But when the light is just right, and if a moored barge has introduced a dash of colour, there is beauty to be found even there.

reflection Baikie Island
Barge, reflected.

1 comment:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger